Support for Axis Q7401 Video Encoder

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of how Cilutions implements digital signage using the DMB Media Player.

Support for Axis Q7401 Video Encoder

Postby Henry.G » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I have an Axis Q7401 Video Encoder (at internal IP address 192.168.1.170) which plays a single SD video channnel. I am running an SD video source into it and want to play the video in a screen zone on my A140 player. When I try to play the video using VLC is works fine with this URL:

rtsp://192.168.1.170/axis-media/media.amp

But when I try to play the same URL in an A140 screen zone the screen is black - no video plays at all.

Does the A140 support this encoder?
Henry.G

Re: Support for Axis Q7401 Video Encoder

Postby Cilutions Support » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 pm

We checked with Axis technical support and it turns out that their RTSP Server is not compatible with the Amino player directly. The work around for this would be to use, say VLC, as a relay agent to capture from the Axis encoder and relay it back to the network using a format compatible with the Amino player. This method is somewhat similar to the technique used to stream a DVD for playback on an Amino player; only here the source is the Axis encoder, over an RTSP connection, instead of the DVD.

Here are are the steps:

1) Open VLC
2) Under Media, select Streaming
3) Select Network.
4) Under Network Protocol enter the following URL: rtps://192.168.1.170/axis-media/media.amp (assuming the Axis encoder is at 192.168.1.170)
5) Select Stream
6) Select Destination Setup
7) Under New Destination make sure the box named Display locally is not checked. Displaying locally typically takes up too much local CPU.
8) Next to New Destination, select UDP (legacy) from the pull-down menu
9) Select Add
10) Enter the multicast address and port on which the video should be streamed (e.g., 224.5.6.7:1234)
11) Under Transcoding options, select the Activate Transcoding checkbox and select the following profile type: Video-H.264+AAC (TS)
12) Select the Stream button
13) Use the multicast address and port entered in step #12 as the source of the video asset on your screen (e.g., 224.5.6.7:1234)

You can run multiple instances of vlc (graphically or from a command line) with each reading from an individual Axis encoder and relaying to a unique multicast address. In this way, you can support multiple Axis encoders (e.g., multiple security cameras) in your network and play the video on the Amino STBs.

Note that these steps apply to the Windows 32-bit vlc release 1.1.9 (named: Luggage). There are quite a few vlc releases and the operational interface can differ between versions. And vlc performance, especially transcoding, can vary a great deal between different hardware/software platforms. RTSP streaming, as described here, has been certified to work very well, with less than 10% CPU load, on a DELL Vostro 420 with an Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz CPU, 3GB of RAM, running Windows XP with Service Pack 3. vlc runs on a great many platforms (Windows, Linux). These specs are just offered as an example known good and well performing configuration.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Postby Edward.P » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I am using an AXIS P3354.

I am pulling the stream into a Wowza streaming server and pushing it back out wrapped in the TS container. It works, but the delay is too noticeable. The VLC way of doing it is actually just a bit quicker, but still noticeable (about 2 seconds).

Any way to remove this latency?
Edward.P

Postby Cilutions Support » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Not sure if this will work for you but the browser asset, included starting in the December 2013 A140/A540 release, can be used to take a snapshot of the Axis image, say every 10 seconds, if you don't really need to view the constant stream.

Something like this URL: http://<IPofAxisCamera>/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi

I know this works in our browser asset. This also has the very big improvement in network bandwidth utilization as you are just taking a snapshot every few seconds and not chewing up bandwidth with a continuous stream. This may be useful for security applications (where a continuous stream is overkill).

This might work for you as an alternative to RTSP.

One other thing, according to Axis even playing RTSP directly into a Quicktime Player has latency issues. From Axis:

"QuickTime adds latency to the video and audio stream (up to 3 seconds)."
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Return to Digital Signage