How Can I Play My DVD Output on Multiple A140s in My Store?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of how Cilutions implements digital signage using the DMB Media Player.

How Can I Play My DVD Output on Multiple A140s in My Store?

Postby Henry.G » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 am

I have some DVDs which I play using a DVD player connected directly to a single TV inside my store. I want to be able to play the same DVDs (i.e., catch the output of the DVD player) inside video screen zones on a few A140s on my local store network. Can I do this?
Henry.G

Re: How Can I Play My DVD Output on Multiple A140s in My Sto

Postby Cilutions Support » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Yes. First you will need to capture the video/audio output of your DVD player by an IP Encoder which produces an encoded video stream compatible with the A140/A540. Then on your A140 you just create a video zone in your screen with a source URL pointing to the encoder output.

Here is an example set of equipment used by a customer running the same configuration:

1) Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player Model BD-D5500 (supports both HDMI and Component Video Output)
2) Teradeck Cube-250 IP Video Encoder with support for HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) - with HDMI Input
3) Porta component RGB YPbPr to HDMI converter v1.3 HDCP HDTV (to convert Component out of the DVD Player to the HDMI Input of the Cube)

This configuration supports two A140s/A540s using an HLS connection to the Cube-250. If you want to play video on more than 2 STBs then you will need to upgrade your Cube-250 (a software upgrade) to support an IP Multicast output stream of the encoded video/audio playable on all your STBs on the local subnet - potentially hundreds.

Contact support@cilutions.com for more information.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Postby Mikhaylovich.B » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 pm

What about with VLC (i.e., VideoLAN)? Can I stream from my PC via VLC and play the video in my A140 Media Players?
Mikhaylovich.B

Postby Cilutions Support » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, you can use VLC to stream a DVD movie. To do so, take the following steps:

1) Insert DVD into DVD drive on your PC
2) Open VLC
3) Under Media, select Streaming
4) Select Disc.
5) Under Disc Selection make sure the box named No DVD menus is checked
6) Verify that the Disc drive setting is correct (e.g., D:\)
7) Select Stream
8) Select Destinations
9) Under New Destination make sure the box named Display locally is not checked. Displaying locally typically takes up too much local CPU.
10) Next to New Destination, select UDP (legacy) from the pull-down menu
11) Select Add
12) Enter the multicast address and port on which the video should be streamed (e.g., 224.5.6.7:1234)
13) Under Transcoding options, select the Active Transcoding checkbox and select the following profile type: Video-H.264+AAC (TS)
14) Select the Stream button
15) Use the multicast address and port entered in step #12 as the source of the video asset on your screen (e.g., 224.5.6.7:1234)

Note that these steps apply to the Windows 32-bit vlc release 1.1.9 (named: Luggage). There are quite a few vlc releases and the operational interface can differ between versions. And vlc performance, especially transcoding, can vary a great deal between different hardware/software platforms. DVD streaming, as described here, has been certified to work very well, with less than 10% CPU load, on a DELL Vostro 420 with an Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz CPU, 3GB of RAM, running Windows XP with Service Pack 3. vlc runs on a great many platforms (Windows, Linux). These specs are just offered as an example known good and well performing configuration.

You can certify your platform by just streaming the DVD as described here; even without any A140 STBs to play the stream. If the CPU load on your local machine bursts to 80% or higher then performance on the A140 (or any other machine playing the stream) will likely not be acceptable. The streaming machine should be able to sustain transcoding with less than 50% CPU load.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Postby Cilutions Support » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 am

You can also launch vlc from a command line to avoid the steps listed above. That way you can place, say, a .bat file on your desktop and just double-click it to start streaming the DVD.

An example command line follows. It streams a DVD in the D: drive towards IPMC:Port 227.8.9.0:1234. The entire command, with its options, should be on one line in the .bat file. This runs on a 64-bit Win7 box - that's why Program Files (x86) is used (because vlc is a 32-bit application running on a 64-bit Windows machine in this example). For 32-bit machines you don't need the (x86) but would use C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc.exe:

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dvdsimple:///D:/ :disc-caching=300 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=udp{ttl=1},mux=ts,dst=227.8.9.0:1234} :sout-keep
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Return to Digital Signage