Overlay An Image for a Few Seconds When a Video Starts

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of the asset types (e.g., RSS feed) supported on a Screen.

Overlay An Image for a Few Seconds When a Video Starts

Postby Edward.P » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 am

I know I can overlay an image over a video and even include some image transparency so the user can see through the image somewhat to the video behind it. But I just want to do this when a screen starts (e.g., upon channel selection) for a few seconds (to tell the user which channel is now playing; essentially brand the channel selected) and then show nothing but the video. Is there a way to do this?
Edward.P

Re: Overlay An Image for a Few Seconds When a Video Starts

Postby Cilutions Support » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

The steps to do this are as follows:

1)Create an image asset and place it over the video somewhere
    2)Use a Playlist for the image (instead of the single Source)
    3)Put two images in the playlist. The first is the image you want to display and the number of seconds to show it, like 3 seconds. The second is a fully transparent image (so essentially it is invisible) with a very large number of seconds, like 100000.

This will show your branding image for a few seconds and then show the invisible image for a very long time.

Future versions of the DMB media player will include a Loop attribute for a playlist so you will be able to just put a single image in a playlist, play it once (with looping disabled), then stop; functionality which more precisely matches your requirements.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Re: Overlay An Image for a Few Seconds When a Video Starts

Postby Cilutions Support » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 pm

The DMB player now supports the following additional attributes to the image asset:

On Screen Duration: The number of seconds to render this image. Default is forever, as long as the screen is active.
    OnRemote Only: Only show this image if the screenlist/screen was activated through the use of the I/R Remote Control. This attribute permits the use of, say, an announcement image to be rendered when a screen begins. Used with the On Screen Duration attribute it can serve as a brief channel announcement at screen start-up; e.g., a channel logo.

This capability gives you the
    image for a few seconds
feature requested.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Return to All About Assets