Are Special Firewall Settings Needed for the A140?

This forum includes general topics related to managing Cilutions products.

Are Special Firewall Settings Needed for the A140?

Postby Henry.G » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I am setting up a network of A140 STBs all connecting from their individual remote locations on the Internet to the SNMP Proxy in my Data Center. Do I need any special firewall settings at the remote locations so the A140s can connect?
Henry.G

Re: Are Special Firewall Settings Needed for the A140?

Postby Cilutions Support » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Typically it should just work without having to make any firewall changes. The typical firewall settings allow UDP outbound traffic initiated from the local network, where the A140 resides, out towards the Internet, where the SNMP Proxy resides. Another forum posting describes how to run a Windows utility to test connectivity from a local network to the SNMP Proxy if you want to try that.

Sometimes users configure their firewall settings for Maximum Security and only permit DHCP, DNS, IMAP, SMTP, POP3, HTTPS, HTTP, FTP and Telnet traffic initiated from the local network. And they reject all other traffic including, which concerns us, UDP traffic. If this is the case then the user will have to change firewall settings to permit UDP. Most of the time this is an easy change and just involves logging into the local firewall and changing the general firewall settings from High to Medium.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Return to Remote Management General Issues