How do I schedule a screen to play in the future?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of how Cilutions implements digital signage using the DMB Media Player.

How do I schedule a screen to play in the future?

Postby Preston.B » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm

I have a Screenlist (dmb.screenlist.00.xml) with two Screens. One screen I would like to play most of the time (my "default" screen), the other screen I would like to play every week day (Mon - Fri) from 6AM - 10AM. Is there a way to do this? That is, to schedule a screen to regularly play at certain times during the week?
Preston.B

Re: How do I schedule a screen to play in the future?

Postby Cilutions Support » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes, you can. One of the Attributes for a screen is a "Schedule File". This file will let you designate the Year, Month, Day of Month, Hour, and Minute to play a selected screen. The following is a "schedule rule" which will allow you to play a selected screen at the times you requested (Mon - Fri, 6AM to 10AM). Simply copy this string into a new text file (e.g., morning_schedule.sc) and then add the file to your 'content' directory and use the DMB Screen Builder to add this file to your screen.

*/*/*;*/*/*;6:*;9:*;Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri

One thing to keep in mind is that the time on the set-top box must be up-to-date; using a current time server. To determine the current time, telnet onto the box and run the 'date' command.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Postby Preston.B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:09 pm

It works with two screens in my screenlist. But if I add more than two screens, none of the other screens in my screenlist play. I want to play each screen in order until the time comes to play my "breakfast" screen. And then when the "breakfast" screen is done, return to playing my screenlist.
Preston.B

Postby Cilutions Support » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Once you add a schedule file to any of the screens in your screenlist, then you need to add a schedule file to all of them. The only exception to this is a "default" screen that will play whenever all other screens in the screenlist evaluate to false. Once a schedule file is added to one of the screens, the DMB Media Player will play a single default screen until it is time to play one of the screens (based on the rule(s) defined in the schedule file).

To correct the problem you're having, create a schedule file for each of the other screens in your screenlist.
Cilutions Support
Site Admin

Return to Digital Signage