RF Audio Low Volume

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of how Cilutions implements digital signage using the DMB Media Player.

RF Audio Low Volume

Postby Henry.G » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I have certain A140s using component output for video and RF output for audio. It all works well - except that the RF audio appears to be 3 to 4db lower than other devices used (e.g., a DVD player). This means I need to turn the volume up or down, a little, on the local TV when switching between the A140 and the DVD player - to make the sound consistent for the user.

Is there a setting on the A140 which corrects this low audio problem when using RF?
Henry.G

Re: RF Audio Low Volume

Postby Henry.G » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 pm

I got this from Amino Support - but it did not seem to work:

RF Audio Output Volume

Some customers have observed a 'low volume level on the RF audio output'. Amino believes that this is caused by comparing RF and line audio outputs, which is not really a valid comparison.

When playing a Dolby AC3 soundtrack, with RF output enabled, the box applies a special 'TV mode' dynamic range compression algorithm and boosts the volume considerably. This brings the RF audio output to its intended level, but as a side-effect, makes the line output too loud (and reduces its quality). It is therefore inappropriate to compare sound levels from RF and line audiooutputs at the same time.

When RF output is disabled, the compression algorithm is removed, and the line output is restored to its intended level (and quality). Therefore comparison between RF and line output audio levels is valid only when RF output has been disabled and the box has been re-booted.

This issue does not apply with MPEG soundtracks. Then a simultaneous comparison between RF and line outputs is valid.
Henry.G

Postby Henry.G » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Now I'm told that you have to use the Amino web form Preferences page on the TV. That is, not the remote web forms using a URL from a PC browser. I have to be in the front of the TV connected to the A140.

To do this:

1) Connect a USB keyboard to the A140 (or use the Amino wireless keyboard).
2) Boot the A140 in Opera Browser mode. Either set it to Opera Browser using the web forms from a PC or hit F7 a bunch while it is booting to force Opera.
3) After it boots, and the browser screen appears on the TV, wait 60 seconds at least.
4) Press Alt-P to bring up the Preferences menu.
5) Go to the RF setting and set the Output to Disabled
6) Select Restart to reboot the A140.

I'll try it out to see if it fixes my low audio problem.
Henry.G

Postby Henry.G » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Amino now asks me to try this:

RFMOD should be enabled by default but can you try some of these settings to see if it achieves what you want? Also please try the reboot after the settings;

libconfig-set NORFLASH.RFMOD_CHAN "3" ## this needs to be channel 3 or 4 for North America
libconfig-set NORFLASH.RFMOD_ENABLE "Y"
libconfig-set NORFLASH.RFMOD_FREQTABLE "BROADCAST" ##select as appropriate
libconfig-set SETTINGS.RFBOOST_MPEG "Y" ## this may help to match the db levels in output

and then reboot the STB
Henry.G

Return to Digital Signage